15 January 2015

rainy laundry

For some reason, it is always raining when I do laundry. It rains a lot here, yes, but it seems like it is always raining extra-hard when I do laundry. I don't know why this is. 

Yesterday, no rain. I didn't have time for laundry. 

Today, rain. Warnings about heavy rain, even.

This wouldn't matter if my laundry machine was in my apartment, because then the rain would be merely a pleasant backdrop to the hum of the machine, but no, my laundry machine is down the stairs and out the door and around the corner and down another set of stairs and through a door. 

There are obstacles: the downspout is right on the corner and water from it cascades everywhere, soaking me and my clothes if I do not remember to step aside in time.

The stairs to the basement are very steep and dark and concrete. There is a motion-sensor light that comes on, unless it's been accidentally turned off. 

The key sticks in the door, while I try to get it open with a basket of clothes balanced on one hip.

I have to turn the light on, blind, because it is always dark in the basement.

All of this would be much more convenient in dry weather. 

It would further be convenient so that the top clothes fresh from the dryer in the laundry basket were still warm and dry rather than cold and damp by the time I get back to my apartment. 

I am not complaining. I deeply value free laundry. It is a convenience that I cherish in my life.

It's just [shaking fist at rain clouds] that I would appreciate it if the rain would hold off while I do my laundry. Is that too much to ask?

No comments: