06 November 2014

[6] pom

I wandered over to C0stc0 tonight with two goals in mind: 1. to pick up my contacts, which had arrived, and 2. to get some moisturizer. Also I happened to be doing a work thing right nearby, so it was convenient.

I wandered around trying their samples (pumpkin pie almonds: strangely delicious; pulled pork: did not bother), and then I discovered that they were selling boxes of extremely large pomegranates for cheaper than I've seen them anywhere else (per pomegranate, by size). They came six to a box. 

I dithered over them for a while (again, hypoglycemia), and then I picked six that looked good and carried them around the store. (I had neglected to get a cart because I was only there for the contacts and moisturizer, of course.)

The internet told me, when consulted for tips, that pomegranates last well in the fridge. I put them all in there, and then when my roommate came home I suggested that he take a look at the second shelf of the fridge for pure amusement value, which was high: six huge pomegranates. I have take some mockery lately for my love of pomegranates.

In addition to the sweet potatoes, I've been on a little bit of a pomegranate kick. I eat them on the daily. They litter the counter pretty regularly. And they take a lot of work.

The best way to separate the pith from the seeds is supposedly to do it under water. I don't usually bother, but I am getting tired of having a kitchen floor spattered with red juice that looks like someone's been dripping blood, so I segmented the pomegranates and teased them apart in a big bowl of water. 

After about 30 minutes of work, I have a big container of seeds in the fridge (although I ate more than a few of them) and there are still four huge pomegranates in the fridge.

It is possible that my eyes are bigger than my stomach, but I doubt it. One should never question my ability to consume ridiculous amounts of pomegranate.

No comments: