30 November 2011

on the fringe

I am voraciously watching Season 3 of Fringe, gobbling up two or three episodes a night. I love this show.

There is only one problem, which is that I can't handle scary things. I certainly can't handle ghost stories (I have walked out of movies before), and it turns out that I can't handle the paranormal very well, either. Even when the paranormal is, as in Fringe, generally explained by tv-science.

One day a few weeks ago, I was afraid to walk out to my car from work at night because my car might have been affected.

Another day, I was walking toward my front door at night when I thought the fog was coalescing to chase me.

The episode I watched today involved re-animation of a corpse, and I may not sleep tonight.

I am a 'fraidy cat when it comes to scary stuff. I am a 'fraidy cat when it comes to the paranormal. I am a 'fraidy cat when it comes to dead bodies.

(Again with the irony! - if I'm right about what irony is; I am never sure - that I ended up in Rwanda eight years after a million people were killed in a tiny country. You know they haven't found all the bodies. It's just impossible. I swam in that lake. But never alone. Oh, no, never alone. You know what bothers me the most about bodies? There used to be people in them, and now the people are gone. There is just something spooky about a body that no longer is a person.)

No comments: