19 May 2011

Cultural Events

My roommate M. works for an organization that puts on Cultural Events, and periodically she invites me to be her date for one. They tend to be on Thursday night about half an hour after advanced fighting class ends, so I take off my sweaty fighting clothes, freshen up the deodorant, throw on a dress, and head to a Cultural Event.

As I was getting into my car tonight, leaving fighting class for the Cultural Event, I mentioned to my classmate, also an M., where I was going. She said that she always feels tough after fighting class, and it might not mix well with Culture.

That is not, interestingly, a problem that I have, at all. I can shut the fighting part off like a bulb when I leave the studio. I sat in the Cultural Event and let the music flow over me. A while ago, some of M.'s friends were critiquing a prior Cultural Event and one of them asked me what I thought. "I thought it was beautiful," I said. "I really don't know enough about music to say anything more than that. I just sat back and enjoyed it." And so I did again tonight.

Segue-less return to prior topic: I also feel no less girly now that I fight for fun, which I would have thought I would. In fact, because I feel more confident in what my body can do (i.e., kick ass), I feel more feminine, because women are strong and capable.

That, and there is no way to learn to love your body like seeing it in a studio mirror four days a week. Didn't like it before? You'd better learn now.

No comments: