20 May 2011

baking

I left kung fu sparring class a little early to get ready for the Church Ladies Book Group. (I had already jammed my hurt toe again, anyway, when my sparring partner blocked my kick.) I raced home to put scones (previously frozen) into the oven, sweep the floor, put away the last few dishes and the dishrack, and turn on the kettle.

Except that I forgot the kettle until the ladies had arrived. But overall it was a smashing success. The cheddar garlic scones and coconut scones received great acclamation, as did the spicy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

People apparently like the things I bake, which seems strange to me. I like them, obviously, or I wouldn't keep baking them, but when other people rave about them, I'm always somewhat surprised. "You like them, too?" I want to say. "Are you sure?" But entire boxes of cookies disappear when I put them on the counter at work, and so does the coca-cola cake. These people must be telling the truth when they say that they like them.

Or is that just what you have to say? I guess not - people have actually looked me up to tell me how wonderful things were. They could have just avoided the topic. I dunno. I like them, though, and I'm happy to feed other people. It's very satisfying, in a rushing world, to stir something with your own hands (I rarely use a mixer, even now that we have two of them in this house), and to wait for something to bake, and to share it with other people.

No comments: