29 March 2011

radioactive rain

I went into the video store last night wearing my kung fu pants with my high heeled work boots. I was also drenched with sweat. It was a good look.

...

It's pouring down radioactive rain these days, more like midwinter than new spring. I try to use my umbrella in this state where umbrellas are practically sacrilege, to keep the minute levels of radioactivity off my skin, but I can't help looking at it and thinking, "it's just rain," just like I looked out at Liberia at night and thought, "it's just Liberia," when people told me it was unsafe in 2006. Sometimes it's hard to believe that something so familiar could even possibly be dangerous.

That, and everyone seems to die of cancer eventually, and I can think of toxins aplenty that will probably start my cells mutating before the tiny traces of radioactivity that is blowing across the Pacific Ocean.

No comments: