30 March 2011

white

I got my white belt in kung fu today.

I do accept applause.

You don't actually have to do anything to get a white belt, other than come to class and buy a uniform, so it isn't like there is a whole lot to be proud of, but somehow I do feel proud, all out of proportion with the fact that getting a white belt is not earned but given. (The bursting of pride I will feel when I test for my yellow belt will be probably unbearable. You will want to look away.)

The instructor ties on the new belt in front of the class, and as he did it, he gave me a little talk about the road to a black belt. I am a long, long way from a black belt, but for a moment it felt possible.

There are also a few new people, which means that I don't stand way at the end of the seniority line anymore.

Plus, the kicks and stances look about a million times better when you are wearing the uniform.

No comments: