28 March 2011

put together

I wrestled a 47 pound, 76 inch long box into my car yesterday, my new bed frame in about fifty pieces. When I got it downstairs to my bedroom, M. said, "Are you really going to put that together tonight?"

"Of course," I said. "I've put this bed frame together many times. It won't take me more than an hour."

Two hours later, after various stages of annoyance, frustration, cursing, and hammering (despite the late hour, and the kids on the other side of the wall), I finally had the bed set up. It's miraculous how much more space I have with a bed that actually fits the room, but it becomes clear how very much there is left to do. Like, for example, something in which to store my clothes. The laundry basket and a suitcase and the floor no longer look quite as practical a clothing storage site now that they cannot hide over there behind the bed.

I lived out of a suitcase for three months in South Sudan, and I promised myself I wasn't going to do that again.

Ha.

No comments: