01 June 2009

moldy

I just made muffins using yogurt that had mold on it. The internet says to THROW AWAY yogurt with mold on it, but I have a very casual relationship to dairy products. This is what happens when you live in cow cultures for a while, in places without refrigeration. If ikivugutu is fine, moldy yogurt ought to be too, right?

Only once in my life has dairy made me sick, and that was in New York in 2006. (It was the first time I barfed since 1990 that did not involve the accidental ingestion of pain relievers on an empty stomach. It was exciting.)

So I think this yogurt ought to be fine in muffins. I did scoop off the mold. Plus it was blue mold. Isn't that penicillin or something?

I will let you know if I cause wide-spread food poisoning by this.

1 comment:

traci said...

why oh WHY did you not post this last week. i made an full batch of whole wheat bread dough, (makes four loaves) then put the milk i used in the dough on my cereal. it tasted sour, so i decided that i'd better throw away the bread, for fear it was bad. then i started to think about it and think "i bet that would taste good... like sourdough." but i didn't want to risk it. how did the muffins come out?