31 May 2009

get it

A few people get it. Every now and again I'm sitting on a patio with a friend of a friend, or riding in the back seat of a car, or outside of a pub, and someone gets it. We exchange stories about places we have lived, and we talk about the journey. It's lovely and fleeting, the feeling of understanding and being understood.

...

Also lovely, in a whole different way, is a day spent lounging by the pool. The water is suddenly warm enough to swim without involuntary shrieks when you get in the water. I have a book, and the sun is hot.

I am getting spoiled by this, by flipflops and not bringing a coat along, by sunglasses and sitting in a lounge chair. It is so wonderful. Some people live this way all the time. I lived this way for two years. I am sure I did not appreciate it enough, even though I know that I did appreciate it. Just maybe not as much as I would now after five (five!) more winters in the northern United States of America.

...

I had sworn off chocolate for a while, but this weekend has wrecked that plan. Wrecked.

1 comment:

traci said...

i'm pretty sure i mostly get it.
miss you.