10 March 2009

cold

It is 63.5 degrees in my apartment, and has been for time immemorial (or the last few weeks, whichever comes first), and I am still uncertain of the merits of keeping my heat quite that low. My heating bill does seem to be about half of what it was last year but, um, aren't fuel prices also 50% lower? So I don't actually know if I'm conserving much. On Saturday, when I came home frozen through, I didn't get warm again for hours. I might be taking this a little far.

I have been intending to make a flax-seed filled pillow to heat in the microwave and place at my feet in bed, so as to warm up. (If you find me clutching it desperately while frozen solid in a fetal position, please turn the heat up.) I bought the fabric and the flax seed, both.

Except that I have to go over to my friend's mom's house to sew it, so that hasn't happened yet, and then when I got so cold on Saturday I decided to improvise. My dad had asked me over Christmas why I didn't just use a sock, so I tried it. I found a sock without holes in it (this is really hard right now - I might be due to buy a new influx of socks) and filled it with flax seed and tied it shut with a rubber band.

Except that you can't put a rubber band in the microwave, I don't think, so I've been microwaving the sock full of flax seed without the rubber band, and then taking it out and rubber banding it.

You see where this is going.

I think I am going to be picking flax seeds out of the burners of my stove and sweeping them off the ground and finding them in corners until the day I move out of this apartment.

No comments: