08 March 2009

weekends are too long. and boring.

I came to the realization yesterday that I need to live in a place where I can live half in- and half outdoors. So in the tropics, basically. I feel like a total lump when I sit in my apartment all day, but then I go out and the weather is miserable, like yesterday, and then I'm crankier than ever. Last night I was waiting for the train in the cold and it didn't come when it was supposed to and I stood there fuming about how the world was all against me and horrible. That just doesn't happen when I wait for a train in warm sunshine, even hot sunshine. The comparable level of cranky just does not develop.

Even staying home is not as painful when you can spend your Saturday afternoon lying in a hammock in the speckled sunlight shining through the trees, listening to birds singing in the bushes and water lapping against the shore. What? WHAT? It's totally possible. I lived there for two years in Rwanda.

I feel like I talk about Rwanda every single weekend.

I know. If Rwanda was so perfect, I should have stayed there. And I would have, had I not, first of all, wanted to go to law school and, second, been so tired of hearing people ask "are you a girl or a woman?" that I wanted to smack the next person who asked. There is something infuriating about being essentially told, over and over, that you need a man to be a woman. (Because by definition, a "girl" is unmarried, and a "woman" is married, in Kinyarwanda. Kill me.)

Anyway. I am in my favorite tea place right now, where they give me a glass pot of tea and a little earthenware cup, different every time, to drink out of. That's almost like having good weather, right? Right?

Ha.

Also, I love daylight savings time. It is 6:30 and still broad daylight!

Additionally, I am in love with these cups: Bodum Cups.

FINALLY, I am going to go work on all-job-search, all-the-time.

No comments: