13 March 2009

drone drone drone

Well! Look at that. It's sunny out and I just got my first piece of good news in quite some time. Unfortunately, I can't tell you about it. Fortunately, I will be able to buy groceries in the coming months. Unfortunately, it removes most if not all of the impetus I felt to apply for cool jobs around the world. Fortunately, it's good news.

I realized yesterday what spring feels like: it feels like that first day after you've been sick, when you are suddenly free of pain but still so tired, but it feels so good to be pain-free. You are so relieved to be without pain that you want to jump up and dance about maniacally. Except you are too tired from being sick. I say this despite the fact that my current version of "spring" is brilliantly sunny days 40 degree Fahrenheit days that don't get dark until 7! 30! pm! Gone West has these loooooong drawn out springs and one can anticipate wearing sweaters until July, but hey, there is light after work, and that one fact alone has returned my will to live to me.

So put me down as the one person on the planet in favor of Daylight Savings Time. In fact, it's that "normal" winter time that I don't like. In fact, if you left it up to me, I would shift the time zones of most of the northern part of the world one zone earlier, so that it stayed light into the evening. I can do without light in the morning. I'm perfectly happy to go to work in the dark. Please, though, please, give me some light after work. There is nothing more depressing and life-force-sucking than leaving work in the dark and coming home in the dark and having only dark awaiting you. (Clearly I have thought about this time zone thing way too much. If you ever really want to have a boring and convoluted conversation with me, ask me when the longest day of the year is when you live between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Equator, like in Rwanda, instead of north of the Tropic of Cancer, like here. Your head will spin. Mine does.)

I am truly astounded that I can manage to write so often and so much about the weather. I need to be shot.

Really, I need to travel.

P.S. Hey! If one thing goes right, others could too, right? Right? Maybe my string of bad news is over.

No comments: