26 February 2009

apparently i really don't care about television

During law school, my roommate got me started watching Lost. I watched the first three seasons during my third year of law school. Seasons one, two, and the first half of three I watched all in a row, sometimes two or three a night, cramming them like a good book.

Last year, I was studying for the bar when season four came on, and I had my bar study class at the same time, and I never bothered to watch it.

A few months ago, I put season four on hold at the library. I was about the 400th person in line for it.

Nearly three weeks ago, my turn came, and I picked up the six dvd set (to watch on the tiny dvd player I have borrowed from a friend).

I haven't watched a single episode, and it's due back on Saturday. I just really cannot bring myself to care. Certainly I cannot bring myself to care enough to turn on the dvd player and watch even one episode. I'd rather read a book or the internet.

This actually happens quite frequently with me and tv. Every once in while, while in the exercise room downstairs, I see a commercial for something on tv and I think, "Oh, Saturday at 8. I'd like to see that." Not once, however, have I managed it.

I gave my tv to goodwill.

It turns out that two years in Rwanda without a tv plus two years of law school without a tv plus a year in Gone West without a tv (i.e. for five of the last six and a half years I have lived without a tv) results in, well, not really being interested in tv.

I strongly suspect that I'm going to return these dvds unopened to the library.

No comments: