28 February 2009

economy = bad

It's Saturday night and I, like a total bum, am home alone. Welcome to my thirties. (Okay, FINE, welcome to my thirties seven months from now.) I did, in fact, leave my apartment today. Twice! Well, once to the library/bookstore/tea shop,* and one just to the gym downstairs. I didn't actually leave the building that time. Still. It was an accomplishment, even if I was that loser who watches My First Home or some such nonsense (I wasn't really listening) while sweating on the elliptical.

I don't pay much attention to the news recently, either, because 1. it's depressing, and my life is depressing enough, thank you very much, and 2. President Obama has it under control. This country doesn't even need me anymore. He'll take care of it.

Did I mention that my life is depressing? I've been living in a bubble of deluded optimism about the economy until this week and then suddenly woe is me, money is about to be tighter than I thought (money is possibly about to be impossible) and now I'm embarking on a few months of all job search, all the time. Which should be fun with, what, 25% unemployment across the country? Geographic barriers have fallen, for sure. Suddenly those jobs in, I don't know, Berlin look pretty good. (I am joking about Berlin. I haven't applied for a job there. Yet.)

But enough about that, because I don't blog about work. Which is really too bad for you, because I have some hilarious work stories from this week. Which you won't hear unless you know me and call me.

Wow, that was approximately the most annoying paragraph ever, right about on the level of those childhood conversations in which the person said, "I know something you don't know! Nananabooboo."

I also notice that I am now writing like a blogger. A blogger who thinks she/he has an audience. I tend to pick up writing styles like I pick up accents when I travel the world. Regarding this type of posting, however: self, good luck with that. Go back to writing stories that do not require audience participation.

Now I'm going to bed.

...

* By the time you finish reading this post, you are going to be thinking, "Wait... I thought you said you had no money? Why the bookstore? Why the tea shop? Can't you make your own tea?" The reasons for my three stops today look like this: 1. library - free entertainment, 2. bookstore - to scope out books to put on hold at the library, 3. tea shop - because sitting alone in my apartment all day is just depressing, and I was not fit company for anyone due to fury about ensuing personal economic disaster.

No comments: