24 February 2009

rain

I can hear rain on my windows, my 4th-of-6 floor windows. I left the blinds open well after it got dark just to enjoy the sight of the trickles of water down the window.

No one else in my building leaves their blinds open, not on this side facing into the courtyard. I always wonder, on a brilliant Saturday afternoon, why I am usually the only one with open blinds. You cannot see more than a few feet into the apartment, not far enough even to see me sitting on the couch. I know from the few times that other people do open their blinds.

Are people so willing to live in artificial light? Don't they miss the sunshine and the clouds?

More importantly, how do their plants stay alive?

...

I am starting to think that my preemptive missing of this place was accurate. Someone please direct me to the part of this country (world, even) that is not completely decimated economically right now, and I shall apply for jobs there.

Somehow, like a lot of people, it never occurred to me that a recession could turn into a depression (I don't know if it has yet; I have been ignoring all news). I didn't think we could make those mistakes again, not mistakes bad enough for this.

I am starting to realize that my entire career - maybe my entire life - could change because of the economy. I may have to leave Gone West, and change my plans for my next job, which will change my entire career.

That could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing, but it will be scary for quite a while.

No comments: