16 June 2008

in pieces

We played chess in the sun. I squinted into it and asked, "What does this castle piece do? Can it move backwards?" N. got to checkmate in a few moves, and then to checkmate again, while I stared blankly at the board. I haven't played chess since I learned in the Netherlands when I was 8. Then I wandered in circles around the pool, talking on the phone to my dad on Father's Day. The grass was soft and cool under my feet. I miss having a yard.

...

A week or two ago, an older-wiser person drew a picture of a mountain on its side, wide end on the left and point toward the right, like this: >. Only much bigger. Then he started writing things along the line of the mountain. "First Job." "Second Job."

"Your options decrease with every job you take," he said.

This is, I hardly need say, not what I wanted to be picturing as I look for a real live permanent job in Gone West. LIMITED OPTIONS?? Comforting. Not to put any pressure on the first job you find or anything.

...

I hate interviews. I get so nervous before them, even before informational interviews, that I shut down and say, "I don't even WANT this job [or to be a lawyer, or whatever]." And then, inevitably, I am energized and exhilarated by them and I want to skip down the sidewalk. For good or ill, there are a lot of them coming.

1 comment:

Monday's Child said...

I need an "older-wiser" person in my life.

I think I am it. and that is NOT good.


hehehe the word verification reads:

sworse...

hehehe..