26 May 2008

Mario

Do you remember Super Mario Bros 3 on Super Nintendo? I loved Super Mario Bros 3. It seems like the soundtrack of the early 90s, that doot-doot-doot-doo when Mario falls into the abyss. Frankly, I would like my life to be like that, just doot-doot-doot-doos when something goes wrong and then eternally popping right back up on the world selection screen, bouncing with excitement at whatever is to come next.

K. pulled out her old Super Nintendo from a box in the garage at 1 a.m. last night and we sat on the living room floor playing it. It came back to me - the jumping, the spinning, the fire power. Except that I'm disastrously bad at it after ten years and some rather strong spiking of the iced chai I was drinking. I fell into the crevices, ran into the ducks, and landed right on the boomerangs that the football player throws. And I've totally forgotten how to fly. But it was fun, in the dark, with the plinky music and the two-dimensional backdrop.

I'm inspired now. I want a Super Nintendo! Perhaps I shall track one down, when I get some money, when I get a real job, when I won't have time to play.

No comments: