27 May 2007

holding... holding...

Well, still no paper. Still no job. Still in Michigan. Nothing seems to change. But it will soon. If I don't get a job by the end of the month, I'm pawning everything I own to go back to Liberia, where I will work at the same place I worked last year for a few months. And then start the job search all over again. Or find money to stay.

Yesterday my mom and I went for a bike ride and happened upon FREE WINDOWS on the side of the road. We came home and called my brother, who does things like buy and refurbish houses, and said, "We found windows! Do you want them!" He was slightly less enthusiastic than we were, but he finally agreed to look at them. My dad had taken the van to work, so my mom and I drove over to the FREE WINDOWS and stuffed three of them in the small car - one and only one in the trunk, two in the back seat. We put them in the garage.

Then we went to the mall to buy my mom some new shoes, but the mall was closed early for Memorial Day, except that it was Saturday (?). We were worried that our windows might be gone when we got back, but we got lucky and stuffed two more into the car. We also took the FREE WINDOWS sign, just in case our efforts were rejected by my brother, so we could put them out in front of our house.

All last night and today, my mom and I, who have an eerily similar sense of humor, have been amusing ourselves by saying things like, "Look! We have windows! Just in case. Everyone should have windows in their garage. What if they need them?" Somehow this is funny.

No comments: