25 May 2007

racecar driver

I'm actually enjoying this Michigan thing, contrary to all expectations. I have a car, the very same car I had six years ago when I graduated from college and, erm, moved home with my parents (this is sounding oddly familiar...). In the time since, it has belonged to my dad and my brother and is now being passed on to my sister, who is in a national park in ColoRADO this summer, having abandoned me, and so doesn't need it. So I'm using it again. It is approximately the size of a Mini, but it works. It gets me places. And it's a manual transmission, which I love love love. I think it's hardly worth driving a car that has an automatic transmission. Where is the fun in that? Shifting is the best part of driving.

I can go places, like a bookstore or a coffee shop, to "work on my paper." I know, you thought that was over. After all, I'm two weeks out from being "done" with law school. So how am I still working on this paper? Well, very simple. Every day I get it out and look at it, and then I do nothing. I read books. I read blogs. I read magazines. But I have a car! And it gets me to places where I COULD work on the paper, should I have a brain left with which to work.

Anyway.

I actually love driving, other than my fear of the other cars on the road (I saw too many horrific, bodies-scattered-on-the-road accidents in Rwanda). But I love driving a manual transmission, music up, arm out the window. I've missed that, these years in New York. I know that I should be all conservation-esque and not want to drive around, but the truth is that I love it. I will minimize it, I will carpool, but sometimes, I just want to drive. I miss my Prado from Rwanda. I loved that truck.

In other news, I still have no job. I'm okay with this, mostly. I'm not in a crisis of self-worth over not yet having a job. It'll come. But I did apply for a job earlier this week that is a DREAM JOB. I can't tell you about it, because I'm unlikely to get it. Well, maybe I'll get it. The situation is this: I have pretty kick-a55 qualifications (heh, just realized this is a family blog and amended accordingly, but you know what I mean despite the sneaky 5's), but there are often people with even more perfect qualifications than I have. I know, it's sort of unbelievable. But say that I apply for a job in the DRCongo. I've lived in Rwanda and spent some time in Tanzania and I speak some Swahili and some Kinyarwanda and more French. But what if someone else has lived in Congo and is fluent in Swahili and/or French? I still think I'm a better candidate, but on paper I don't necessarily look so. It's very annoying to know that I can do a job and do it well, but I may not be able to get that job.

But I still have hope. If all else fails, I'll do an internship-type thing for a few months. For now, I'm enjoying this break.

No comments: