22 April 2007

blue, blue, blue

Realized that I sounded depressed in my last post, which wasn't the intention. I'm just holding on for three weeks from tomorrow when I get to leave this city. It's been a long, tough two-and-three-quarters years. I'm ready for the next thing, even if I don't know yet what that will be.

S and I went to Princeton today, for one last little outing before exams and papers get bad. It was warm and beautiful and people were out in droves. On the train on the way there, I pressed my face against the window to watch planes landing at Newark and, far above them, other planes passing over, pulling tails of steam. I feel heartsick and happy when I watch planes flying in blue sky.

Waiting for the Dinky, which our train missed, the only sound was that of the birds chirping and a bit of my tense and stressed mind relaxed. I had forgotten that birds could be louder than cars. I had forgotten that you could sit in the shade of a tree instead of a building. I had forgotten that the air could smell of grass rather than exhaust or grit or pee. I had forgotten how badly I need those things.

I felt alive for one entire afternoon.

(Happy Birthday, Momma!)

1 comment:

traci said...

ah princeton. i miss that place (a little.)

the video on my blog that you asked about is chris daughtry.