20 January 2007

saturday

On the 6 train, there were two men playing, respectively, a guitar and an accordian, and singing. They had no little change collecting bucket, just their voices and the instruments and the joy of singing. S tried to ignore it, because that's what you do on the subway when people make noise or talk or sing, but I turned and looked at them and let their music make me smile, because I liked it.

The thing about having a vegan roommate is that you get dragged to places like the vegan shoe store (zero items in which I can afford to buy, which makes the whole shopping excursion slightly pointless), where the guy behind the counter, with huge holes stretched in his ears, says, "Every man in my family goes bald in their twenties. Except me. I didn't get those genes. I got the gay."

The beauty of eating out in New York is that so much of the food is done so well (unfortunately, when done badly it is done so badly, too). I had a whole wheat bagel with tomato and cheese and veggie bacon for lunch and every bite was a joy. How badly that could have been done, but how well it turned out.

I meant to take a nice long walk afterwards, rambling toward school and then maybe succumbing to a subway, but it was so cold and blowy that when after three blocks I saw a subway, - I would have taken any subway line at that point - I ran directly for it.

No comments: