01 February 2007

blog boycotting

I feel no impetus to say anything lately, despite the fact that New York is still New York and therefore crazy things happen. Yesterday, for example, S and I had agreed to finally go try this Ethiopian restaurant on the Lower East Side because the one we've gone to before is deteriorating rapidly. The doro wat is now so salty that I can't eat it. And the injera is bad - all thick and bunchy. I hung out with enough Ethiopians in Rwanda - and Tanzania - and Kenya - to know bad injera when I see it. And am forced to eat it. We were going to go to this place called Ghenet on Mulberry and Houston that got great reviews on citysearch. I was massively excited. I love Ethiopian food.

So we got to Mulberry and walked down the block and saw... nothing. No Ethiopian restaurant. There was, however, a movie shooting on the block. Movie shootings annoy me because they do things like (last year) close off the playground so they can film with it as a background and then refuse to allow normal kids into the playground. Only the EXTRAS can go onto the playground. Because somehow they play better than regular kids? Would it kill them to have regular kids on the regular playground in the background? We had to go to the baby playground instead, which is not fun with a four year old. The swings are too small.

Anyway. Ghenet. I walked through the movie set as if it belonged to me because it is a street and I live here, people. Why should I not be allowed to walk down a street? But there was no sign of the restaurant. Not on that block and not (in case we were mistaken) on the next block. Finally we went back to the movie set, where they were now annoyingly filming so we could not walk through, and asked someone if he knew where Ghenet was. He said they were in fact filming in Ghenet. There was no Ghenet. We were barely outside of Little Italy, but said movie felt a need to close down our Ethiopian restaurant, rename it an Italian restaurant, and film in it. Why not just use an Italian restaurant? Would it kill them? And on the one day that we wanted to eat there and made the trek there. The guy we asked about the restaurant tried to convince us to go to his family's restaurant which serves "authentic Southern Californian Mexican food" (wait, what?) and then said, "I thought they didn't eat in Ethiopia, anyway. No food, right?" S was proud of me for not hitting him over the head right then, but I gave him the glare. He knew. He knew he was in danger.

No comments: