03 February 2015

investment

I am going to go on the record right now and say that I do not think that I will ever get used to getting up at 5:30 am. Like, ever. 

Also, I bought an air plant today, which is sort of my version of buying a real plant, only different.

Sometime in 2013, I bought a little terrarium at a specialty grocery store in Gone West. It had sand, some pretty pebbles, a dried flowerish thing (it might have been a... nettle? maybe?), a clear rock, and a little air plant.

I watered the air plant, as instructed, about once a week, until Christmas of 2013 when, you may recall, I got snowed in at my parents' house in the Mitten. It took me an extra four days to get back to the office, so the air plant went two weeks unwatered. 

It looked sort of dead when I got back. I tried several times to revive it with water. Then I drove across the country with it in my alternately freezing and warm car. Then I put the whole terrarium into a box and left it in there throughout an abnormally hot summer.

Last week I took it out and tried one more time to revive the air plant. Maybe it was hibernating?

It was not hibernating. I pried it open and it was a dull tan color all the way through. No life at all.

So today I bought a new one. It cost $2.99. I soaked it in water, and I put it into the terrarium on the end table in the living room. It is a tiny little investment in making this apartment feel like home. 

No comments: