15 January 2012

light

I had sort of forgotten what winter is like here, but then suddenly the world is all, "Ohhh. I forgot. Here, have some rain," and it's all coming back to me.

I was fooled by those days of cold sunshine. I forgot 1. how truly miserable it is to go outside in 35 degree rain, and 2. that a little bit of mid-winter sunshine does not mean that you can stop using the happy light, you blithely not-yet miserable idiot, you.

The eight hours a day of cold sunshine, during most of which I am inside and when I go out I am covered from head to toe, does not negate the need for the happy light. I know this, and yet every year I get busy and I am fine, just fine, until one day I am not fine, I am overwhelmed and always about to cry, and then I go back and do the math and realize that it's been a month since I used the happy light on a regular basis, and I (metaphorically) whack myself in the head with a brick a few times and go sit in front of the silly blue light for a couple of hours a day a few days in a row, and then I am fine again.

No comments: