23 December 2011

titles

I've never really understood the fight to keep Merry Christmas and only Merry Christmas as the December greeting.

Merry Christmas is nice, when you celebrate Christmas. I get a little thrill out of saying Merry Christmas, because that means that it's almost Christmas, and, for me, Christmas is one of the most beautiful, enjoyable times of the year.

But I also realize that not everyone celebrates Christmas. And why should they? They aren't Christians. It's only fair that if someone celebrates another holiday, they should get to be wished happiness on their holiday, too. Why should Christians (or people who celebrate Christmas) have a monopoly on happiness on holidays?

In a place like the community I grew up in, back in the Mitten, it's okay to wish most people Merry Christmas.

Here in Universe City, many people don't celebrate Christmas. Why would I want to wish someone a Merry Christmas when it means nothing to them? It's like wishing someone a happy Wednesday on Tuesday. It doesn't mean anything.

Since there are other holidays around this time, it makes sense to me to be more general. Why would I assume that someone celebrates the same holiday I do?

I know that there are people who get very upset at the idea of not saying Merry Christmas, like something is being taken away from them. And maybe it is the traveler in me, but I don't get it. Why should the fact that someone else has a holiday take away from mine? Why should treating someone else with respect hurt me?

No comments: