12 December 2011

eta

I don't like what I wrote on here yesterday.

I don't like it because it broke my cardinal rule of writing: the only person you can make fun of is yourself.

I have edited it to be gentler and truer, but I can't find a way, as tired and late-at-night as I am, to reflect what I really meant, which is that I have a great fondness for the very different varieties of people of Universe City, and sometimes they make me laugh, but what I am laughing at is not them, but the interaction between the smallness of my life and the differing smallness of theirs. Great humor can result from that clash.

I still don't like it, because I don't think that woman would think my comment about not being back was funny.

...

Some things that I never can remember:

1. Whether or not there is almond flavoring in my house. (I currently have three bottles of almond flavoring and two of coconut.)

2. Whether or not there is money on my coffee shop card. (Every single time I order coffee, I say, "I don't know if there is money on here," and every single time my coworker points out that I say that every single time, and there is always money on there.)

No comments: