18 November 2011

jollof rice

So the jollof rice is cooking. Hopefully it will taste okay. I remember virtually nothing about ratios except that your sauce has to taste pretty strong and salty before you add the rice or it will be tasteless when you are done.

And I have no idea how much rice I was supposed to add. I added... some. I think that it might be okay to open the pan and add water later, even though it isn't okay when you are making straight rice. I hope. It has been way too long since I have done this.

The US does not appear to have Maggi Cubes, and I don't know if they are vegan, anyway. (I have to make my jollof rice vegan today due to food restrictions at the event I am attending.) I bought some Maggi Seasoning instead, in a bottle, but it appears to have a soy sauce flavor. I also added some vegetable bouillon cubes.

I did remember to pick up a hot pepper, though. I bought a chili pepper, because it's red, and I used green bell pepper. It seemed like a good idea to have the hot pepper be visible in case people want to avoid it. Very likely a single chili pepper will be laughable in terms of hotness compared to any dish made in Liberia.

It will turn out okay, I think. My fingers are firmly crossed.

No comments: