28 June 2011

supreme running goal of all time

I glanced out my window just now, and the sky is so very beautiful and strange. The upper part is periwinkle, heading toward indigo. Then there is a long, dark cloud, and below it the remaining sky, toward the sun, is bright yellow. I can't stop staring.

I went out for another run tonight. I am determined to build my endurance for fighting and hiking, and also to be a runner. Who runs. A runner who runs. As runners do. I get so excited by the fact that look! I'm a runner! that I want to announce it to everyone, but I have to keep it quiet around my martial arts studio, because my instructor, er, well, kind of forbade me to run, at least until my knees started not being a mess because of kung fu.

(My knees are a little better now, thanks to, I am not kidding, all of the following things: being careful about my stances, glucosamine with chondroitin, massaging Blue Emu into them twice a day, daily ice packs, fairly regular ibuprofen when they hurt, and an ancient Chinese way of sitting back on them that is supposed to fix arthritis. Life becomes so high maintenance once you pass 25. The running doesn't seem to be doing them any harm, though, as long as I run on the wood-chip dirt path.)

So, I ran. I told myself that I would run 3 miles, however slowly I needed to run them. I would not rush. But! But! But! It only took me 34.5 minutes! I could almost run with my dad!

That's pretty much my supreme running goal of all time: run three miles with my dad, and not want to die the entire time.

No comments: