09 April 2011

Thing

I lived for 2.67 years in Gone West without any drawers but those in the kitchen and bathroom. The closet was really full. I used a laundry basket for socks and underwear, and dirty clothes I threw straight into the washing machine. Papers went on the shelf of my desk, and the stack of them grew greater and greater.

Today I got on some sort of organizing kick. It was as if, after eight months in Universe City, I just suddenly could no longer handle feeling half-moved in.

Okay, that wasn't it.

I was supposed to be getting ready for a Thing at work next week, and my reaction to the need to knuckle down and get ready for the Thing, eerily similarly to my reaction to the need to knuckle down and write a paper while in school, was to find other things to do, things that would generally top my Boring Ways to Spend a Saturday list but suddenly seemed downright cheery in comparison to working on getting ready for the Thing. (Was that sentence even comprehensible?)

Instead of getting ready for the Thing, I painted the dresser that I bought last fall that has been sitting in our garage since I moved into this house. Sanded, and TSP'd, and painted, and then painted a second coat. I went furniture shopping. I bought a bookshelf and a shoe rack and a filing cabinet, and I spent a good couple of hours putting the filing cabinet together. (People speak of 1ke@ as if its instructions for assembling things are the worst. I assure you, they are not. At least the 1ke@ people know how to draw. The filing cabinet people do not.) I unloaded the dishwasher. I organized things in my room. I brought out the recycling.

I had an extraordinarily productive Saturday. I just didn't get anything done that actually had to be done. Things are not looking good for Sunday.

No comments: