07 April 2011

cool people clothes

I opened my suitcase in the middle of the night at the K.s' house, secure in the knowledge that I had planned my packing perfectly for traveling with only a carry-on, only to find that I had planned my packing perfectly but I had not executed it perfectly. I had forgotten my sweater and zip-up inside-out fleece. I had no sweatshirt type layer. I cursed and kicked the suitcase, and then resigned myself to buying a sweatshirt in the airport.

(Side note: how much do I love Gone West? When I went into the outdoor apparel store in the airport - first of all, there is an outdoor apparel store in the airport - the salesmen nodded and one said solemnly, "Oh, yes, you need your mid-weight layer." These are my people, ya'lls, and I do love the whole self-conscious, outdoorsy, organic, recycling lot of them.)

It was 80 degrees F and sunny when my plane landed in Denver, and I (metaphorically) cursed and (metaphorically) kicked my suitcase again over the wasted money on the mid-weight layer.

Good thing it snowed eight inches the next day in Ski City, where my sister now lives, and I was vindicated in my purchase of a full-price mid-weight layer with hood.

Also, it is orange. And it has thumb holes. That means I am officially one of the cool people. Me! I am one of the cool people! With thumb holes in my clothing! I may never take this thing off again, just so everyone can see how cool I am.

What?

Yes, I do get this excited about new items of clothing. Frequently.

Blame it on how I was a missionary kid.

No comments: