18 March 2011

quiet

Because I am a dork, I belong to a book group. Because I am an even bigger dork, I belong to a book group that meets on Friday nights, when the cool people are out partying or drinking or some such. I stayed late at work today, because I was behind on returning phone calls, and when I got done, I went straight to book group (minus a brief stop at Trader Joe's for some almonds and a sample of gnocchi with meat sauce, which I ate, including the meat. Lamb, check. Pork, check. Beef, check. I am officially off the wagon.).

The book group hostess had water boiling for tea. We sat down in a cozy family room with tea and snacks and books and conversation, and it was exactly what I needed after a week of running about putting out fires. After a few minutes, I could breathe again. I could have, had I not been interested in the discussion, laid my head down right there amongst friends and gone to sleep.

No comments: