07 December 2010

safe

I have never been one of those girls who feels particularly vulnerable. I am pretty tall, and I don't seem to give off the vulnerable vibe that screams ROB ME, ATTACK ME! At the same time, I am a girl, and so there are times, on a dark street at night when someone seems to be lurking near me, when I do get nervous.

After nearly three months of fighting class (I just call it fighting class now, when people ask. It makes me seem tough), I feel less nervous. It wasn't even a conscious thing until I realized it tonight.

But now, driving home tonight, it didn't scare me to have that car following me for three turns. It doesn't scare me to walk past that group of drunk kids on the corner. I am not unwary, now, just more confident. A whole lot of practice punching and kicking people, not to mention taking them down, will do that to you.

It's a very strange feeling, in a really good way, not to feel the vulnerability of being female.

No comments: