06 December 2010

headset

Last night I got in the car and, as usual, got out my headset to get ready to chat on the phone all through the drive down to Universe City. (It is illegal to talk on the phone while driving without a hands-free device here.) It is a long drive, and boring, especially in the dark, so I usually call my mom or my sister and blather to them for two hours. I put the headset on my lap, planning to get some gas first and then make the first call.

The gas station was closed. I pulled in and found only darkness. By then I had realized that I needed to get something out of the trunk, though, so I parked in a space, got out, got the stuff out of the trunk, and got back in the car.

Right around the on-ramp to the freeway, I realized that I couldn't find the headset. Disaster. I thought about turning around, but surely it was in the car somewhere? And driving the couple of miles back to the gas station would take a while, and be a pain, and I might as well keep driving. Surely it could not have just fallen off my lap as I got out of the car back at the gas station.

Thirty minutes later, having wanted but been unable to talk to someone on the phone because I could not find that headset anywhere, anywhere, anywhere, I stopped at the outlet mall for fuel and please, please, let them have a cell phone store.

They did, but they didn't have the right kind of headset for my phone. They had the kind with two earphones (annoying) and the bluetooth kind (my dad has one, and I cannot stand the way it picks up background noise). The girls at the counter told me there was another cell phone store twenty minutes down the road.

By the time I got off the highway and drove circles around through the shopping center and found the store and got out of the car and discovered that the store was closed, let me assure you that I was very, very annoyed with myself for not just turning around and driving the two miles back to the first gas station.

So I called my sister and we talked on speakerphone. Except I had to hold it up to my face to hear her over the sound of the road, and I'm pretty sure that makes it not hands-free. I put it down whenever I passed someone.

And now I have to buy a new headset.

Curses.

No comments: