22 December 2010

fighting

Only three of us made it to our fighting class today, and we worked hard. The instructor was there alone, with no backup at the desk, so when people came in to ask about subscriptions and gear to give as Christmas gifts, he set us to push-ups and agility drills and crunches and went to deal with the customers. One of the three of us had his sister and her friend visiting, and as they watched from the sidelines, as we lunged at each other trying to tap shoulders, as sweat dripped off of our faces, I wanted to say to them, "I know it looks impossibly miserable, but this class is so. much. fun."

It really is. Even on days like today, when I can't leave work until five minutes before class is to start, when I am exhausted and have so much to do, I still go. I have not missed a single day except the ones where I was in Gone West. I go, and I do the 210 crunches. I run,* and I punch, and I kick. I was vindicated today when the instructor said, "You are really dedicated. Keep this up, and I'll be inviting you to the advanced class soon."

I feel approximately the excitement about being invited to the advanced class that one would feel about, I don't even know. Being upgraded to the varsity team as a freshman? There just really isn't much in life that results in that much satisfaction in one's hard work anymore. I mean, getting a job, fine. But there is so much chance involved. And there isn't much room for promotion in my line of work. This is the beauty of sports: you work hard, and you earn something. I am going to be pretty ridiculously, excessively excited on the day I get invited to the advanced class.

* On the running: I think I might be in the best shape I've been since I played soccer in high school, and I credit Singul@ir. Did you know that it is possible to run without painful gasping for breath? Yeah, me neither. Asthma: another fake disease not to make fun of.

No comments: