01 December 2010

bar fight

I went out to a fundraiser drinks do after FIGHT class, and I ended up beating people up in the bar. Ok, not beating people up. More just demonstrating. Yes, I will disable you if you come at me with a knife. Next.

It's bizarrely fascinating to girls and boys. I might also be the best advertisement my FIGHT instructors have ever had. I get so excited about it (it's seriously one of my favorite parts of the week) that I end up convincing people that they might even want to try it. Today, for example, I had a 7-weeks-postpartum woman (possibly) talked into trying it. That, my friends, is contagious enjoyment of a class.

I do the same thing with Africa. At a law school function once, I convinced two people that they just had to go there, by expounding on its beauties. I wasn't even trying to convince them to go there. I was just talking about how great Africa is, and suddenly they were saying, "It has never even occurred to me to go to Africa, but now I really want to go." (I brushed my hands together and said, "My work here is done," in my head. And then I walked out into the snow.)

No comments: