30 November 2010

[30] resemblance

One of the strange things about Universe City is how it resembles, say, Kigali. Or Nairobi. Some East African city.

Ok, it doesn't resemble it specifically, because the houses here are not behind walls, and they are winterized and such. It's just that there are these little dirt lanes, in some places, and extra little rooms pieced together out of scraps dangling off of houses and, most of all, I think, there are office buildings that look like the tropics: they have outdoor walkways around them (despite the unending rain and, last week, the inch of snow I found on my car in the morning), and they have rows of doors facing out that lead to small offices. The offices tend, though, to be for random things that would not survive in a less hippie town. There are innumerable chiropractors, and massage therapists, and nutritionists, and naturalists, and acupuncturists, and therapists, and they all just open their little tiny offices and make a living, apparently. How, I do not know.

This is pretty much a hippie town, up and down. When he heard that I was moving here, F. said, "You are going to love the hippies. Get ready to be hugged all the time. The hippies will just up and hug you." and I scowled and said, "I don't like being hugged by people I don't know." Fortunately, no one has tried to hug me at random yet. Whew.

No comments: