27 November 2010

[27] skate

Frosting cookies by yourself is boring. I miss my sister as I sit at the counter frosting endless supplies of cookies. I inevitably mix up some horrible color that wastes a whole lot of color and powdered sugar and then feel obligated to use it to frost cookies because it would be wasteful otherwise. That is how I ended up with purple cookies today. "Easter cookies are fine for Christmas," N. said, watching me try to make the color slightly less spring-like. (It didn't work.)

Every year, I use these silver ball decorations from the K.s' cupboard on the cookies. They are tasty and pretty, but I'm not completely certain that I'm not poisoning myself and everyone else who eats them. I think they date to approximately 1976, and I'm sure food safety standards were different then. Oh, well. Pretty!

...

We went ice skating, A. and S. and I. A. used to ice skate in school, and I went a few times when I was a kid with my Uncle Ed, and S. said she has gone maybe two or three times. It came back to me pretty quickly, and I tucked myself forward (falling on butt = bad) and swung my arms and managed to stay upright. I even enjoyed it, when I wasn't trying to avoid slicing off the fingers of small children who tumbled directly in front of me. &#^$ family skate time.

1 comment:

Mir said...

Purple cookies are perfectly appropriate this time of year since purple is the color for Advent!