01 June 2010

unmade plans

I fully intended to go to the beach yesterday. I was going to get up early and take the bus or train to S.'s work to pick up her car and drive to the beach by myself. And I woke up in time, but of course it took me too long to get out of the apartment, and of course I decided to take a different bus route, and of course the bus was running on a Sunday schedule and I waited for over 30 minutes for the next bus to arrive, and of course I had overdressed for the day, expecting cold rain at the beach, and so I arrived at S.'s work huffing and sweating, overheated and annoyed, muttering under my breath and wearing rain pants while the sun peeped out of the clouds.

Instead, I went to the outlet mall (I gave up nature for shopping. heh) and got a baby shower present and the new colorful sneakers I've been wanting (the last pair they had). I got lost on the back roads trying to get to the K.'s house, and then I gnashed my teeth with frustration and drove in circles. When I got there at long last, we sat around chatting with church people. We took rides on the old fire truck. And then, when everyone had left, I sat in the (cooled) hot tub with a book, like a warm bath, and read until I absolutely had to go give S. her car back.

No comments: