21 March 2010

packing

I am packing for Honduras, making sure that everything fits in 3.4 ounce (100 mL) bottles so as to get through the TSA checkpoints, except that my contact lens solution claims to be TSA compliant despite its 4 ounce (118 mL) size. So I am risking two 4 ounce bottles and hoping that they don't get confiscated, because I will die without my lotion. (Even though I am exaggerating, I am not being girly and annoying. It is scentless Cetaphil, but I am prone to eczema and after swimming in the ocean, I will need it.)

I am really excited about this trip, but I am really unexcited about the process of getting down to Honduras. It is going to take me four flights on three airlines plus an overnight in San Pedro Sula to get to Tegucigalpa. I like flying, usually, but there are just too many incredibly early mornings between now and Friday. 6 am is starting to look like a positive luxury.

And I hate carrying all of my luggage with me onto planes. I like to check in as much of my crap as possible, especially on international flights for which it is usually free (I am also a silver member on D3lta now, so a bag is free), but on the crappy budget airline that charges to check a bag in, I refuse. So I'll be lugging all of my TSA compliant bottles through five airports.

It is true that I have traveled enough to know what I'm doing. The woman at the store today, as I was checking out, said, "Yeah, I don't think I've flown since they started limiting liquids," which was almost four years ago, a span of time that I cannot imagine existing without flying. (Hello there, privilege! I've been in, um, eight countries since then. And I am not including this country or Canada or the two countries - Belgium and Japan - that I flew through without leaving the airport.) So I know all about this liquid limiting. I know what to pack. I know what I will use and what I won't.

You know what, though? Even though friends and coworkers seem to think that I am the sort of person who just jets off to other countries (and I guess the evidence would support that hypothesis), I still get excited and nervous every single time. International travel never gets boring.

No comments: