22 March 2010

malaria city

I was looking through my cupboard (trying to find the non-drowsy anti-motion sickness medication that a professor named Harold gave me in Vietnam, if you must know) and happened upon some mefloquine left over from Sudan. Hm. I thought. Hm. I should take this. That would be so responsible of me. I had just enough, you see, to cover my trip to Honduras, and I am going to the Bay Islands, where there are mosquitoes galore. It would be prudent to take an anti-malarial in that context.

The mere fact that I have mefloquine left over from Sudan should tell you that I am something less than reliable about taking it. On most trips, I don't. I only took it in Sudan because my organization required it (not that it kept me from getting malaria). I took it for a few weeks in Liberia and then gave up on it. I did not take it in East Africa at all, after a few, again, weeks at the beginning.

I sat down all ready to take the first pill with dinner yesterday - how convenient is it that I found it on a Sunday! I am perfectly on schedule! - and then took a look at it. Yeah, it expired a year ago. I googled "expired mefloquine" but came up with nothing.

So much for that healthful intention. I guess I'm going malaria prophylaxis free again.

No comments: