12 October 2009

random materialism

I live in a place where it rains more than half the year. I also have to dress up for work. I also cannot stand walking in heels. The combination of these factors is bad, very, very bad. I have nothing to wear when I walk to the library on my lunch hour. Sneakers look stupid with skirts, and also get soaked through easily. Flats turn into little pools of water in which your frigid feet reside. Rainboots, while ostensibly the best option, don't have a lot of in-shoe support, plus it doesn't necessarily rain all day every day, and so you risk looking stooopid wearing rainboots in the sunshine.

It hit me a few weeks ago that what I need is boots. Dress boots. The kind I can wear with a skirt at work and that will keep my legs warm. I think everyone else figured this out long ago, but I am slow that way. So, I set out looking for boots.

My normal method of looking for things to purchase is to spend several days frantically looking in every store I can find, then get annoyed and slow down, but keep going into new stores hoping to find the item, and then to give up if I haven't found it, with occasional reversions to frantic searching when I think of it. Along the way, I collect opinions about the perfect item for which I am searching. In this case, boots.

By the end of my search, I was categorically rejecting boots for high heels, clunkiness, no heels, slouchiness, looseness, cheapness, buckles, pointiness, uncomfortableness, expensiveness, and having rims around the edge. Let's just say: I had opinions.

I did the same thing with jeans a few weeks ago. My Aunt Lisa actually sent me a birthday card involving jeans, which totally cracked me up, because she clearly has an inkling of how ridiculous I can get about jeans. Suffice it to say that I very nearly threw a temper tantrum in the gap, where they have discontinued my reliable Essential style of jeans in favor of a whole set of LOW-RISE travesties and SKINNY-LEGGED absurdities. The staff alleged that they held WORKSHOPS to determine how the new jeans should be cut, and I can only say that apparently their WORKSHOPS were made up of EIGHTY-FIVE POUND THIRTEEN YEAR OLDS, because they are the only people who have the remotest chance of not having a muffin top in and being stuffed like a donut into those stupid, idiotic low-rise, painfully-tight jeans.

Not that I was bitter at all.

Unfortunately for the gap, though, the loss of any sense of decency (FABRIC) in their pants has made it unnecessary for me to ever enter their store again. Too bad!

I have a few opinions about jeans, too, I guess. Happily, I found the world's most perfect pair of jeans at @nthropologie and they lost a button so I got them a percentage off and sewed the button back on and they are perfect perfect perfect. And I got a pair of boots on sale at @erosoles, and they are comfortable and cozy and basically perfect perfect perfect as well.

So, now, um, anyone have any idea where I can find a black v-neck wrap sweater? I've been on a quest for one of those for quite some time.

No comments: