11 October 2009

fall means baking

I have a possibly perilous disregard for expiration dates, except as they concern eggs, because I discovered in Liberia in 2006 that long-expired eggs taste metallic, and I find the metallic taste disturbing. (I should note that I seemed to be the only one who could taste it, but I tasted it even in, say, cake.) For pretty much everything else, though, I figure that if it doesn't smell actually bad, it's probably fine.

That is all provided as an explanation for how I came to make beer cheese bread this evening with beer that expired last February 23. I seem to recall having bought that beer during the snow last Christmas. I haven't had a need for it since then - I don't like beer and even beer-loving guests to my little abode have scorned the Bud. Apparently there is no desperation great enough to drive a Pacific N0rthwe$ter to drink Budwei$er (they will, however, drink PBR, if there is no alternative).

This beer smelled, well, beery, so I figured it was fine, but beer, as I found out in Rwanda, will go bad. Actually, I don't know if it will go bad under normal refrigerated or non-refrigerated circumstances. What happened in Rwanda was that I bought beer for any guests who might pop by and/or parties that I periodically had, and I put several bottles in the fridge. Electrogaz, the electricity company, was having what we might call issues, and the power was on-off-on-off-on-off every day for a few months. At the worst point, I had about 40 minutes of power a day. My fridge got cold-hot-cold-hot-cold-hot for weeks. Then, one day, while I was having a party, I reached into my fridge and took out a few bottles of Mutzig and set them on the ground in front of the fridge while I was grabbing some other sodas.

One of the bottles exploded the second it hit the ground. It was rather alarming. I can only conclude that the constantly changing temperature did... something... to the vacuum seal. Something detrimental.

The beer I put in the beer cheese bread mix tonight did not explode. It behaved perfectly normally, and the bread, which is almost done baking, smells amazing. I copied the sample lady from Trader Joe's and added sundried tomatoes and fake bacon. Can you imagine anything better than beer cheese bread with sundried tomatoes and fake bacon? At the store, I ate about six of the samples. I just kept going back. I think I took more than my share.

...

Postscript: Upon ridiculous amounts of taste-testing, I will leave out the sundried tomatoes next time. They add an odd sweetness. Plus, they are a vegetable, er, fruit. Too much healthiness for beer cheese fake-bacon bread.

1 comment:

traci said...

can you send me the recipe??