25 June 2009

bike person

I've always been vaguely skeptical of people who wake up early and get exercise before they go to work. Mornings are for sleeping, I feel. The more sleep, the better. These people, they have the choice between sleep and being mobile, at some hour that should not even exist. (There is no hour that starts with a 5 and has an a.m. after it. Even hours that start with a 6 and have an a.m. after them are suspicious.) So people have this choice, and they choose to be upright and, I don't know, running in circles? Biking without moving at all? Or whatever they do.

Plus, one needs food before exercising, clearly, and you can't really exercise immediately after eating, so you need to wake up at least 30 minutes before exercising.

People were just naturally made to get their exercise after work, I think. Morning is too early.

At the same time, I've always wanted to be one of those people who rides her bike to work. I'm a little scared of cars, and I don't like having helmet hair to start my day, but what's really been stopping me from riding my bike to work has been the getting up earlier factor. I get up more than early enough, mostly because I'm so so slow in the mornings. It takes me an hour to be awake.

But it's summer now, and it's light in the mornings, and the bus/train schedule has gotten ever more annoying, and I've been a few minutes late for work nearly every day due to said schedule, and so I broke down and set my alarm 15 minutes earlier, and rode my bike to work. Twice, now.

It's quite nice, actually, in the fresh morning air. Riding my bike to work takes almost exactly the same length of time as the bus or the train, due to run/walk/bike paths that take me almost all the way there. (Plus additional time to park, change, etc.)

The fact that the alarm goes off some mornings at 5:55? Not so good.

But I look at it thusly: if I ride my bike to work, and home from work, that is 30 minutes of exercise right there. So on the occasional - okay, frequent - evening that I am just too lazy to get any more exercise, I've already done it.

Plus? I'm now that person who lives in a city and rides her bike to work.

No comments: