12 April 2009

rainy afternoon

We looked out the window in the afternoon and it was pouring rain. It seldom rains like that Gone West, where "rain" tends to be more like "mist." Rain was pounding down and leaping up from the sidewalk. It was almost tropical.

I miss rain like that. I miss violent weather. It doesn't rain hard here, and it doesn't get hot, and it doesn't thunder and lightning, and it's all so mild. I like my weather to be a little more threatening. I like feeling a little scared of the wind and the rain and the thunder and the waves.

S. pointed out a job opening in Sudan for an organization I know and love, and then we went to church. I spent much of the Easter service doodling about it, drawing sketch maps of Juba and writing things like, "$$$," because Juba is.

The pastor said, "Everyone needs community," and I wrote that in my scribbling, too. Because we do.

And that, my friends, may or may not be the very problem.

No comments: