26 April 2009

allergy medicine makes me sleepy

I read an entire book between Friday and Saturday, and when I finished it I was gloomy, because the book was gloomy. If there were ever a book that could throw one into depression, it would be Life as We Knew It. I read it alone in my apartment, all in a row, and when I finished, I was not quite sure that there still was a world outside my window. Note to self: Do not read end-of-the-world type books while alone and not feeling that well. Ugh.

Great debate: is it better to take allergy medicine and feel a little better (also, sleepy) or to avoid it and assume that avoiding it will encourage my body to stop reacting so violently to pollen more quickly?

I went to a bridal store yesterday with two friends, because S. had to try on bridesmaid's dresses for our college friend J.'s wedding this summer. While she was in the dressing room, A. and I wandered around mocking the dresses. Well, it was by accident at first. I said, "These dresses are hideous," quite loudly and, okay, only half inadvertently, and then after that there was no point in doing anything but making fun of them.

Primary issue: the straplessness. What on earth gave us the idea that strapless gowns were the way to go? Chances are about 99.8/100 that a strapless gown will either 1. dig into your back flub, or 2. gape open in the front so your entire guest list will see your boobies. And yet 99% of the gowns in the store were strapless. Why? Really, why? I am launching a campaign against strapless wedding dresses.

Secondary issue: the poofiness. This was actually less bad than I expected. Wedding gown skirts have been toned down in recent years. I have seen wedding gowns whose skirts caused the bride to look like a bell that you could pick up by her head sticking out of the puff on the bottom. It's like people don't want to have a figure at all.

I was somewhat placated by the tiny section of dresses with straps. And the fact that the poofiness now tends more toward swooping out lower down than puffing straight out at waist level. Still, I wanted to warn off the two brides who were trying on dresses, one of whom was caressing the (strapless) dress she was wearing, cooing (cooing, yes), "I don't want to take it off!"

Step away from the strapless, ladies.

But then I morosely said to A., as we were leaving, "Just watch, I will totally end up being the girl who buys a poofy, strapless dress. I sicken myself already."

In other news, I did not get carded while buying beer for beer cheese bread today. Sketchy. Does that mean that I look over 35 (over 40? whatever it is), or just that no one under 21 would bother to try to buy bad beer at 4:30 on a Sunday afternoon in a crowded store?

1 comment:

traci said...

some thoughts that i'm putting in the comments. feel free to move this over to the realm of email:

1. which college friend is getting married?
2. I'm SO WITH YOU ON THE STRAPLESS. they are heinous most of the time.
3. remind me of the dates, again, wehn we can meet up for lunch??