29 March 2009

sunday afternoon

The very best way to spend a Sunday afternoon is napping in the yellow glow of my parents' living room, on the world's most comfortable couch, covered with a down throw, and then groggily waking up to take a bike ride.

The second best way to spend a Sunday afternoon is napping in the bright sunlight of the K.'s family room, on the floor, covered with an afghan, and then groggily waking up to chat about world politics.

The third best way to spend a Sunday afternoon is napping in the speckled shade in M. and T.'s yard in Kibuye, in a hammock, under the lake breezes, and then groggily waking up to swim in the lake.

I spent my afternoon the second way, today, dozing off during the basketball game.

We stopped at a goodbye party for a friend of S.' who is going to Iraq for a year. It was strange, because most of my goodbye parties involve people who want to go to the place they are going, but this guy doesn't want to go, and it reminded me of the mixed feelings that I have about moving again. I want to go. I want to see everything in the world. I want to live everywhere. But I also love the comfort of having a routine and familiar people around me. There are innumerable things I miss about each place I have lived.

S. gave me some potting soil and we picked up free to-be-recycled pots at the nursery on the way home, and I re-potted my rosemary and jasmine plants on my kitchen floor. When I came back from the gym, my apartment smelled like earth.

No comments: