21 November 2008

[21] cows

I don't know why, but I always seem to end up in cow places. (Although, now that I use my actual brain, this is not that odd considering that most if not all of East Africa is cow country and I've spent quite a few of my adult Africa years in East Africa. Anyway.) I don't mind cows, usually. I can plow my way through them. I can swat at them with a stick. 


Rusenyi, Rwanda (2003)

I appreciate the fact that cows provide lots of milk and meat for a great many people of the world. And hey! I love milk, despite my vegan roommate S. in law school who insisted that milk is full of pus because cows are milked so frequently and painfully. "Yum," I would say, as she stared in disgust at my bowl of cereal and milk. Slurp

But seriously. Sometimes one can overdose on cows. 

When you can't drive your (emergency radio and ventilator equipped) vehicle on the only road through town, for example.


Tiny Little Town, Southern Sudan (2007)

Or when they block your way to the (overheated, dirty) pit latrine.

 
Tiny Little Town, Southern Sudan (2007)

I don't think I miss cows. Nope. I don't.

No comments: