19 November 2008

[19] in which i try to fix myself, but the world is the problem

"What is that white blur?" I asked, leaning forward. "Is it a problem?"

"That's your heart," the x-ray technician said. "In people like you, who are tall and thin" - side note: this guy is my favorite! person! ever! love him! - "the heart is low down and near the center of the chest."

I finally got around to going to a doctor for the fact that I feel like someone is sitting on my chest. The conversation went like this, "Well, it started right after I got back from Ethiopia, which also coincided with starting to work in an old building. And I've had bronchitis a few times. And I test positive for tb, and my friend in Liberia had it when we were little, but I took INH for nine months in 2002. Oh, and I had schistosomiasis, as of last year. And malaria. And I was treated five times for amoebas. And the only other time I've felt like this in my life is when the harmattan would - do you know the harmattan? It's when the sand from the Sahara gets caught up into the atmosphere and blows over Sub-Saharan Africa. I used to feel this way then, like I couldn't quite fill my lungs up." That would be par-tic-u-late matter, my friends. Dust.

Good news: nothing bad on the x-ray, and my lung capacity is above average for my age and height (yessssssssss - I have no idea how this happened. I've been boycotting exercise recently out of sheer laziness). Bad news: my chest is perfectly shaped for air-trapping, and apparently I'm allergic to Gone West. It's always convenient to be allergic to your new hometown.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

We are producing a show about parasites that attack humans for the Animal Planet and we are looking for people who have had or currently have Schistosomiasis among other parasitic infections. Please email me at liz.goncalves@optomenusa.com if you are interested in sharing your story.

Many thanks,
Liz