18 November 2008

[18] short due to computer problems

Things are oddly messed up in internet world. No google products are loading on my computer, which results in a lot of half-loaded screens.

Here is a little story:

Not long before we evacuated from Liberia, we went to a Fourth of July in February party at the Voice of America station. (I think the Fourth of July was held in February in Liberia so as to avoid the rainy season.) There were games and prizes. There was food. I, being a nerdy child, spent a great deal of the day memorizing all the verses of the the Star-Spangled Banner and the Battle Hymn of the Republic (apparently I am a scary old white Southerner at heart). ("I have seen him in the watchfires of a hundred circling camps, they have builded him an altar on the evening dews and damps..." - this was almost 19 years ago and I still remember the silly song.)

I fared less well at the games. My little brother and sister each won something in the races and games. I won nothing. I have never been very athletic. I was discouraged.

A little later, I was crawling around under a big bush/tree thing, and I found something. A golf ball! I was thrilled. A. and R. might win races, but I was a FINDER. I could FIND things. (Keep in mind that this whole event was taking place NEXT TO A GOLF COURSE.)

I had a little basket from somewhere or something, and I joyfully put my golf ball into it. This is what the picture from that day shows: A. and R. are holding their ribbons for winning races. I am just as proudly holding up my little basket with a golf ball in it.

No comments: